Wednesday, March 4, 2009

About Creole Belle

Hi! My name is Arielle and I’m a southern belle! Not really. I don’t have a southern accent and I’ve never been queen of a festival and I don’t own a corset or hoopskirt, but I do say “y’all” and I do make groceries and I eat fried food. I currently live in Savannah, Georgia and attend the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), but I was born and raised in New Orleans. Like many New Orleanians, I’m Creole. Not Cajun. The Cajuns migrated south from Canada a few hundred years ago, the Creoles are a mixture of the bloodlines of the countries that have occupied Louisiana throughout history. I, primarily, am African American, French, Native American, and German with a little bit of Spanish thrown in for good measure. My momma says I come from good stock. I agree.

I read, dance, design, cook, and organize. I cannot sing nor am I photogenic. I possess an odd affinity for floor plans, school supplies, lemonberry slushes, riddles, avocados, caran d’ache neocolor II facepaint, quotes, and peanut butter. I am a dog person, not to be mistaken for a cat person.

One of my favorite phrases is soli deo gloria. It’s Latin for for the glory of God alone. Isn’t that beautiful? Bach wrote over 10,000 pages of music and signed S.D.G. at the bottom of each one. I want to live in such a way that I can stamp soli deo gloria on every page of my life.

Here on my blog I will post updates about my life in Savannah and tell stories about my life in New Orleans. I may even post some recipes if you're lucky.

Enjoy,

The Creole Belle

No comments: