Tuesday, October 27, 2009

2-Week Rundown

Two weekends ago, I went camping with CSF at Unicoi (Unicorn) State Park, 2 hours north of Atlanta. It was perfect. I haven't been camping in years and I don't think doing it girl scout-style really counts. It was awfully chilly, the trees were changing colors, I could see the stars (like, all of them), we slept outside, there were mountains, I went hiking for the first time, and sat out on the dock by the lake under a big, looming mountain. It was the most wonderful 44 hours.

This past weekend, I cooked. It's for another magazine project, big surprise there. I made creamy broccoli soup, butternut squash risotto, roasted chicken thighs, and an apple spice coffee cake. Originally, the plan was to also have sauteed green beans, but I was tired and they never quite materialized. So I've been eating the leftovers from Saturday for the past few days and am quite satisfied with not going to Scafe to eat.

The magazine project is trying to kill me though. I can make a lovely 12-page spread with pretty pictures and perfectly coordinating colors, but my professor doesn't want that. He didn't like my neatly organized content and columns. He said he wanted me to forget everything I remember about magazines and use my imagination. Ahem, excuse me professor, my imagination doesn't spit out chaotic compositions like many art students'. I like lots of white space and clean lines and pure colors.

I forgot to mention, the use of computer is not allowed. As in, I cannot compose my magazine on the computer and print it out. Everything must be done by hand. And it must be university-level work. I suppose SCAD took it to heart when I told them in my admissions essay that I love challenges.

No comments: