Friday, February 19, 2010

And Now I Will Wax Philosophic

This past week has been crazy hectic. All of the sudden there was all this work to do. 2 papers to write, research to do, drawing that takes HOURS, and hundreds of pages of reading, typography midterm + project progress. I suppose I could have done more last weekend, but I wanted to hang out with Max and Thea because I finally live in the same city as my best friend and I only get to see her twice a week. Rude.

So last Saturday we made dinner. I don't know that I've ever made anything so fancy looking in my life. I did not intend for it to be so gourmet, but that's how it came out. I made risotto, wilted spinach, and rolled flank steak. I got a confession of love, two proposals of marriage, and 2 propositions to cook for people. Haha, they just don't know that the meal was actually a fluke; the fact that it came out good had very little to do with me and more to do with luck.

So I've been busy busy all week and moody, which is not a good combination. I didn't really have time for dinner one night, so I went to get a smoothie. The lady put all my stuff in the blender and turned it on. Now, the smoothie shop at SCAD has the blenders on the counter between the workers and the students. Sometimes, they don't put the lid on all the way and then they walk away, leaving a whirring machine and trembling lid that threatens to pop off at any moment. You have to smack your hand down on top of it if you want your smoothie to stay in the blender and not all over the ceiling. And even when they do put the lid on all the way, they don't hold it down and the machine just trembles so much it practically gives me heart attack to watch it. It's that feeling you get when you're on the edge of your seat and not breathing, just waiting for something to happen that could be spectacular or a complete disaster. It's like watching reality TV. I'm pretty sure my blood pressure rises a lot when I'm getting a smoothie. If the lid isn't on quite right, I'll hold it down myself; if the lid is on I take a few steps back and turn my head. It is so nerve wracking.

So as I was standing there waiting for my smoothie, I thought about the whole perilous smoothie situation and my typical reaction to it and I felt like it was somehow a metaphor for my life. I can't watch reality TV, I have a hard time when someone is giving a speech, and I try to avoid awkward situations at all costs--all because I can't bear to sit by and watch when something could go DISASTROUSLY WRONG. It makes me nervous like you would not believe.

I suppose that's enough philosophying for the week.

2 comments:

LulingBelle said...

Yes, ha ha ha ha ha. . .
very philosophical : O

Anonymous said...

I can't remember what my password is...