Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Wedding


So the wedding was perfect. Really.

The sun was out, the weather had warmed up to a brisk 30° F.  All of the bridesmaids got ready in a sweet little cabin near the ranch where the wedding was.  We wore matching things, applied our makeup, took photos, put on more matching things, took more photos and then, ahhhh! it was wedding time.  I always get nervous when the wedding is about to start.  And when I say I always, I mean this time and that other time I was in a wedding.  So all 2 times, without fail, I get a little jittery although I am not the one getting married.

Off we went to the ranch.  The ceremony was lovely.  It took place in a little building that was made up almost entirely of windows so you could look out to the snowy mountains that surrounded the ranch.  Like I said, lovely. 

As K came down the aisle, B had to remove his glasses so he could wipe the tears from his eyes.  Sweet.  The crowd was small, 42 people total.  It was very intimate and fitting for them.  We all took pictures afterwards, then K, B, the photographers and I left to go take more pictures at the stables.  And there was a horse.  And they let K take pictures with a horse, which totally made her day, aside from getting married, because she used to ride when she was younger.  There was also a random puppy roaming about, so they got pictures with that too.  And if you’ve been on Facebook, you’ve probably seen my photo with the donkey.  That was fun.
Meanwhile back at the ranch (ha! you can say that in this case and actually mean it), the reception was getting started.  The barn was decorated beautifully with one long table running down the center set with place settings and lots of pretty glass things.  On one end of the barn there was a LARGE fireplace (I mean, me and 14 other people could have fit inside of it) and comfy seating.  Next to that was a photo booth, which was LOTS OF FUN.  There were props and chalkboard signs and you can see those pics on my Facebook.  Guests took polaroids and them put them into a book and wrote a note to B & K.  It was cute.  After dinner, there was mingling and talking and picture taking and sitting by the monster of a fireplace.  Then the toasts began.  Normally I get nervous when people start making speeches, and that night was no exception.  But I hung in there and they were actually quite nice.  I had no idea I knew 2 such incredible people.  I mean, I knew I liked them, but I had no idea of the glowing opinions others would give. 

At cake time, K smashed the cake into B’s face, which is totally like her.  She comes on all sweet and cute and then BAM! there’s food in your face.  I know this because she’s done the same to me.  Over at her apartment, eating food that I cooked, she, out of the blue, flung a forkful of quinoa at me.  Because she had an urge.  It was actually really funny.  B, who was sitting nearby, saw the whole thing and was appalled.  But he should have known better, just like he should have known that K would smash the cake in his face at their wedding.

It was lovely.  It was perfect.  K is married and back in Texas.  I miss her.  That is all.

p.s. Photos are from the lovely Lauren Herreid.

No comments: