Friday, February 24, 2012

10.8 Quarters Down, 1.2 To Go + I'm Sick


Class registration. My final class registration. Up until the night before, I hadn’t a clue which classes I would take, or which ones I wanted to take.  For my last quarter, I only need two classes since I have all the other credits I need.  No more graphic design classes for me, just a general education elective and a free elective.  Intro to Anthropology was the most interesting sounding gen ed class that would fulfill my graduation requirement, so I signed up for that online.  That means I will only have to physically attend one class in the spring.  Let me tell you, being a senior is some serious work.  Anywho, that one class I will be attending is Repeat Pattern Design.  It’s a class in the Fibers department, which is pretty much the coolest major at SCAD.  So I’ll get to work with textiles and pattern creation, which will actually help me out a lot in terms of my graphic design.  I’m really looking forward to next quarter, but there is so much work to do before this quarter is through.  I have a 10-page research paper to write in about 2 weeks' time and 2 more design projects (for real clients) to produce in 4 weeks.  It’s actually more than it sounds.

For Repeat Pattern, I think I want to work with the concept of heritage.  Or sparkly things.  At dinner the other night, a friend suggested that I get a tattoo of each culture in my ancestry.  That’s a lot of tattoos. But it got me thinking how it would be really cool to incorporate bits of each culture into a single mark that could be used in a pattern or as a seal or crest or stamp.  But I could also try to do something sparkly, like with bronze coins or medallions.  So either one, or maybe both will be used as inspiration next quarter. 

On a completely irrelevant side note, I’m sick.  It began on Saturday evening with an odd feeling in my throat and continued into Sunday morning with a sore neck and runny nose.  So I called my mama and lamented about my puny little cold and laid about the apartment all day, real pathetic-like, moaning to my roommates.  And I thought to myself, if I were alone in this world, with no mama to call for help and no roommates to be dramatic for... I would probably still be just as pathetic about being sick.  At least for the first few hours, then I would man up and deal with it. 

So I did, and I made soup.  And I would like to say that when I get my own place, the thing I’m looking forward to most is real silverware.  Some nice heavy spoons that I can scoop soup with rather than these lightweight things that just are not working for me.

No comments: