Thursday, April 5, 2012

Spring Quarter...the Final Frontier

Oh dear, it has been awhile.  Let's see, over the past few weeks I've had spring break and the first week of classes and a job interview of sorts and so much tanning.  I'll start with spring break.

I stayed in Savannah for spring break and avoided the St. Patrick's Day festivities which pale in comparison to how New Orleanians throw a party.  Instead I spent my time at the park, at the beach, in my bed and I got delightfully tan (not in my bed, that would be ridiculous).  

My first week of class was a fairly easy, although slightly more work than I anticipated, so it felt like a lot.  I watched some films and wrote an essay for my online anthropology class and researched Rio de Janeiro so I can design an upholstery pattern inspired by Brazilian samba for my repeat pattern class. This is it people.  This is my final quarter of school.  Forever.  And I'm drawing pretty patterns and watching educational cultural videos.  Sometimes being a senior is real hard.  And I know that many of you think this is what I did for my entire stay here at SCAD—learned to color in the lines and sat around discussing the majors points of such art movements as Abstract Expressionism and Neo-Dada while passing around a hookah.  But you would be wrong!  There was no hookah.

For reals though, there has been actual work taking place over the last 4 years—skill building and et cetera.  And all of that work has culminated in a decision to not go into the field of graphic design.  Not full time anyway.  I would like to do graphic design work as a freelancer and do other things full time.  And there are so many Other Things I could do.  I could work in a bakery.  How fun.  And then when I'm finished with that, I will move on.  Basically I'm going to be a nomad, which I would classify as adventurous and freeing and y'all would classify as terrifying and irrational and Not Smart.  But I as I am an adventurish soul (a person who experiences bouts of adventurousness, not all the time), I think this will be good for me.  For now.  

Don't worry, I'll probably get a real job soon.

Arielle 

No comments: