Monday, March 12, 2012

Pens & Knives

Sometimes college students do things differently than everybody else, like eating ramen noodles and Easymac for every meal for days on end.  (I don't do that.  I make real food.) Sometimes art students do things differently than even regular college students.  So, at the most basic level, we are twice removed from the normality of general population.

For example, I needed a gray pen for a design project.  I stopped at Ex Libris to procure this item, and I popped a quarter into the parking meter.  Then I thought, is 15 minutes even going to be enough time for me to choose a pen much less walk to the second floor, back down, pay for it and get back to the car?

This was a legitimate concern.  

I could spend much longer selecting a pen, but I didn’t want to spend any more on the meter, so I forced myself to make a quick decision. It was slightly unnerving.

Additionally, that evening, I was talking to my mama as I was driving to the Wallyworld.  She told me to be careful and I told here, regrettably, that I didn’t have my pink pepper spray.  We’re not allowed to have the stuff on campus, therefore it is not on my key ring, therefore I did not have it with me. We discussed the preposterousness that is SCAD policy of no pepper spray, mace, tasers, knives more than 5 inches in length, toasters, crock pots, popcorn poppers, et cetera and so on and so forth, because, well, those are dangerous. BUT saws, drills, chisels, box cutters, razor blades, and exacto knives are not only allowed but are generally REQUIRED. 

Like the resourceful SCAD student I am, I walked to and from my car and Wallyworld, utility knife in hand, blade out, ready to take on any creep the parking lot would send me.  Is it illegal to walk about in public with a knife in your hand?

No comments: